Skip to main content

Addiction is Common

Lately I've been thinking about what it means to be addicted. There's a huge stigma around having an addiction or being an addict. It's as though people believe that being an addict or having an addiction is meant to go unspoken or meant to be looked down upon. The truth is, everyone has an addiction. Think about that for a moment. Everyone has a boiling point. Everyone turns to something when they can't handle what's going on in their life. For me, it was alcohol. Every time life became too hard or too messy, instead of dealing with the problem, I would drown them. My body learned what I was teaching it and began to exacerbate every little life moment in hopes that I would feed the same monster over and over again in the same way. Not good. However, studies have shown the same reaction with cigarettes, drugs, sex, sugar, chocolate, caffeine spending, and even diet and exercise. The point is any and every thing in life is only good in moderation and not meant to be used as a coping mechanism.

Where does that leave us? Everyone is an addict. Everyone is using something inappropriately in their life. I say the people with socially unacceptable addictions are the lucky ones. They have identified their problem and are actively trying to fix it in a world where there is never a short supply of sponsors or accountability partners. All the other addicts hide in the shadows and draw attention to those of us with the louder more pronounced problems. I don't think it's intentional. I just think no one's ever brought it to their attention. They have all the signs we are accustomed to.

1.) Angry or short tempered when they have to go without.
2.) Body has flu like symptoms when it becomes deprived.
3.) Most of these things are bad for your body in excess amounts
4.) People cannot go without it.


It's an interesting thought isn't it? Every person has that one thing inside of them they are constantly fighting with. Some days we win. Some days we lose. The war is constant but many battles are fought. This post has two important realizations.

One, what things in your life could be considered an unhealthy addiction for you? Just because it's not the usual addictions doesn't mean it isn't bad for you or isn't causing harm.

The second, you are not alone. Don't feel like one of the unlucky few with an addictive personality because everyone has it. We just don't share the same addictions.

I think it would be neat if one day a year we all wore t-shirts that were the same color but written on them was each person's addiction. This way, for one day, we could be ourselves and see just how alike we all truly are. Much love my friends. You are not alone and are making huge strides on a path that is the best for you. Keep your chin up and keep going. Until next time. Stay up. Stay you and sober.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gardens and Green Thumbs

I have never had a green thumb. For the longest time the running joke in my family was that I had a black thumb. Even if I wanted to keep simple house plants alive they’d be deceased within the week. So, you can imagine my positive outlook when I realized that gardening was next on my list of hobbies to try. Before the summer season started a co-worker of mine gave me three plants and said, “It’s impossible to kill them. They will be great for you to learn with.” Of course while she’s encouraging me I’m nodding and smiling but I’m thinking, if only you knew. So I take them home and water them here and there and after a few days they start to wilt. I forgot to put them in the sun. So I rush them outside to give them sunlight, and forget them out there. OF COURSE a frost comes in the middle of spring and turns my plants into spinach. Not the beautiful leafy spinach but the yucky kind, you know, the kind that comes in a can. I remember that I left them outside after two or five days of

The Right Path Does NOT Equal An Easy Path

Have you ever felt like you're being attacked? Every time I feel like I'm on a good path doing the right thing SOMETHING happens. You know what I'm talking about? You wake up and decide it's a new day, a new you. This is the day you're gonna be nice to random strangers to spread joy. You get on the highway to go to work and someone cuts you off and proceeds to go 5 miles under the speed limit. Your new day, new you turns into word vomit toward someone else who made a vast judgmental error. In the moment it all felt so right and then five minutes later guilt washes over you and you realize your good deeds were washed away in one fluid moment. So often I view change as a perpetually positive thing. If I just do x, y, or z then my life will be complete and I'll be joyful all the time. I'm writing this blog to remind us that choosing the right path may be the first step but choosing to stay on the right path is a battle. Don't get me wrong, the right path do

Peeling Myself Off the Couch and Out of My Comfort Zone

   The next item on my list of hobbies to try is planning and going on trips! I had two trips planned and, of course they were back to back. I am not very good at this expert planning business. I'm definitely going to have to work on my ability to coordinate time frames better. Of course I'm sure this will get better as I go along, 🙄 hopefully. But, adultiness can't be accomplished in a day so I have to be patient with myself. Any hooskies, back to business.    My husband and I had planned to go to Missouri to see one of his good friends and hang out. He always wants me to come with him every where he goes and this makes me feel welcome and loved but I'll admit, I was a little apprehensive to go on this trip. Firstly because he and his friends make every event into a brothel and secondly because of my social anxiety. I'm always awkward but this occasion was special. You see, I wasn't sure if his friend was going to remember the one thing I did that one time on