Skip to main content

Let's Throw a Party!!!! Minus The Alcohol...

One of the events I've tried to master is throwing a party without drinking. I actually love everything about parties. I enjoy watching my guests have a great time. I have a blast making snacks that take 2 hours to prep for and even longer to perfect and make. I am excellent at all of the usual party games: beer pong, flip cup, quarters, cards, 2 truths and a lie, and most board games. You name it I've played it and who doesn't love winning all the time? Lastly I enjoy hosting and being able to play DJ. I'm a nurturing soul anyways, when I'm throwing a party that's my whole job. I love listening to people and then either helping them confront their problem head on or convince them to move forward. I LOVE it ALL.

The problem comes from one of two things: one, you throw a party and do not have alcohol or two, you throw a party and allow alcohol. Both avenues are problematic for me. The first option repulses most guests. People can be your BEST FRIENDS but if given the choice between a party with alcohol or without it they will choose a party with alcohol. No offense or slight is meant. It's nothing personal they just see their Halloween going a little differently.

The other option is to allow alcohol, which brings lots of guests, but it gives me an itch I can't scratch. You know what I mean? An insatiable anger that builds until I'm yelling at my husband about the broken thermostat that refuses to sit at 71° precisely. Its a real problem. I know it's been 7 months and I've been told I should be able to be around alcohol now but I just can't. Some days I can and I'm completely fine but there have been others that make me so agitated I want to rip my own face off 😑.

I bet by now you are beginning to see my dilemma. Halloween is my favorite holiday. During this time I would usually start planning a party but I never got around to it. I was going through a rough time. I knew I couldn't be around alcohol and had begun to see my sobriety driving a wedge between me and my old group of friends. Who was I going to invite? Who would come and not drink but still have a great time? For all of these reasons I skipped my annual Halloween party and didn't even get a Halloween costume. That was my low point. After the fact I realized a couple of things. Its okay to throw parties without alcohol. If people come they're YOUR people and if they don't, they dont. Not every person you interact with will be your best friend but that doesn't make them enemies it makes them humans. I can't fault people for being themselves. Tolerance goes both ways. This leads me to my second realization. I need to get off my butt and make new friends. I need a group of adult women, besides family 😉, who can have a great time being silly and random without alcohol. It's hard to find but I have to try. So I'm gonna be awkward, join a class at my local gym, read at a book club through a local book store and try my darndest to make friends.

I do all of this in preparation for my first sober party for Valentines Day. I know that's quite a ways off but I need time. Time to prepare, make friends, and become a stronger me. Don't give up what you love because of your sobriety. Give up the things that take away from what you enjoy most. Love people but love yourself too. Change is nature. When you change one big part of your life a lot of things surrounding that must change too.

Today I open my curtains and prepare for fall. I'm ready to change everything including my mindset. Im not just giving up alcohol I'm changing my life. Change has to take place so I don't continue to turn to alcohol to be and live in my world. My world matters and yours does too. Stay sober and beautiful by being YOU. Come what may being yourself is the way to stay sober ❤. Until next time, drop me a comment of a suggestion for making new friends. 🤗











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gardens and Green Thumbs

I have never had a green thumb. For the longest time the running joke in my family was that I had a black thumb. Even if I wanted to keep simple house plants alive they’d be deceased within the week. So, you can imagine my positive outlook when I realized that gardening was next on my list of hobbies to try. Before the summer season started a co-worker of mine gave me three plants and said, “It’s impossible to kill them. They will be great for you to learn with.” Of course while she’s encouraging me I’m nodding and smiling but I’m thinking, if only you knew. So I take them home and water them here and there and after a few days they start to wilt. I forgot to put them in the sun. So I rush them outside to give them sunlight, and forget them out there. OF COURSE a frost comes in the middle of spring and turns my plants into spinach. Not the beautiful leafy spinach but the yucky kind, you know, the kind that comes in a can. I remember that I left them outside after two or five days of

Peeling Myself Off the Couch and Out of My Comfort Zone

   The next item on my list of hobbies to try is planning and going on trips! I had two trips planned and, of course they were back to back. I am not very good at this expert planning business. I'm definitely going to have to work on my ability to coordinate time frames better. Of course I'm sure this will get better as I go along, 🙄 hopefully. But, adultiness can't be accomplished in a day so I have to be patient with myself. Any hooskies, back to business.    My husband and I had planned to go to Missouri to see one of his good friends and hang out. He always wants me to come with him every where he goes and this makes me feel welcome and loved but I'll admit, I was a little apprehensive to go on this trip. Firstly because he and his friends make every event into a brothel and secondly because of my social anxiety. I'm always awkward but this occasion was special. You see, I wasn't sure if his friend was going to remember the one thing I did that one time on

The Right Path Does NOT Equal An Easy Path

Have you ever felt like you're being attacked? Every time I feel like I'm on a good path doing the right thing SOMETHING happens. You know what I'm talking about? You wake up and decide it's a new day, a new you. This is the day you're gonna be nice to random strangers to spread joy. You get on the highway to go to work and someone cuts you off and proceeds to go 5 miles under the speed limit. Your new day, new you turns into word vomit toward someone else who made a vast judgmental error. In the moment it all felt so right and then five minutes later guilt washes over you and you realize your good deeds were washed away in one fluid moment. So often I view change as a perpetually positive thing. If I just do x, y, or z then my life will be complete and I'll be joyful all the time. I'm writing this blog to remind us that choosing the right path may be the first step but choosing to stay on the right path is a battle. Don't get me wrong, the right path do