Skip to main content

Fishing and Recreational Gun Use

Let me start this entry by saying a hard and fast truth about myself. I am a huge, beyond abnormal, weenie. When it comes to animals, people, or even inanimate objects I am completely hypersensitive. So when I tell you that I tried fishing and shooting guns please understand it was catch and release and I fired guns at targets in a shooting range.
Yes!! I went fishing! So let me level with you about this hobby. I used worms and that was...interesting. Putting them on the hook was hard. Worms are squishy and change shape so easy and a small part of me was terrified they would slip into my nail bed and kill me. Okay... I'm being deeply dramatic! But, it was so hard to put them on the hook and not do a shuffling dance every time. I even tried giving the worms a pep talk like, "Okay, I know this isn't fun and I'm really sorry about this but we can do this. NOOOO!! Don't do that (as they wriggle from my hand). You're not being a team player right now Mr. Worm." This had to be the hard part, but catching the fish is really the best part. That adrenaline pump that comes from the sudden tug of your line and the bobber submerging. The idea that your hard patience and struggle with the creature, the hook, the weight, and the bobber to not get tangled and everything coming together through the perfect cast in the perfect position, all brings forth this one little victory of feeling. It makes you feel self reliant like, should the apocalypse come tomorrow, you'd survive on fish. I think from now on I will start fishing with hotdogs because I feel bad for the worms. If you have any ideas for bait that don't involve live creatures please let me know in the comments below.

Shooting guns was next on my list. If you don't already know this, the firing of guns is. Very. Loud. It is thrilling but depending on the type of gun you use hitting the target can be a piece of cake or it can be a ricochet nightmare where it DOESN'T hit the target, or even come close, and the bullet makes that sound you imagined bullets to make as a kid. The best reference I can give is like the guns that were fired in the old bugs bunny cartoons. No joke. I enjoyed shotguns the most. I always hit my target and they pack a punch. It made me feel strong and kinda cool to be able to handle it. It was fun!

The Not So Good Parts:
1) Using worms as bait isn't recommended if you have a soft heart 
2) Catching fish will most likely not happen the first couple times        you go fishing unless you go with a pro. 
3) Guns are a weapon use with care and respect.
I felt really bad for the worms. I let them go free after using like 5 of them (there's 30 in a container). I have gone fishing twice, 5 hours each time, and haven't caught a single fish. They keep eating my bait but I don't snag them at the right time. I still love doing it but if you need that gratification I suggest going with someone who can coach you. If you have never worked with guns before I would say take a safety course or go to a range where they can show you how to use the gun you will be working with.

The Fun Parts:
1) Catching a fish is worth the wait.
2) It's so relaxing fishing
3) Shooting Guns was thrilling, scary, and learning how to use them was satisfying.
Catching that fish made me feel victorious! I was so excited I let all of the worms go free. Not very frugal of me I admit but it seemed like the just thing to do at the time. In the down time of not catching anything I rested, watched the waves cap into our boat and enjoyed my husband's company, his dad, and soaked in the summer sun. I recommend bringing a book, some snacks, and lots of water. I'm an independent strong woman. I'm the type that wants to be able to do anything that a man can do, but better. I love to think I can do what any man can and shooting guns was like that. I held the gun myself and was able to handle it well after being taught about each type and how to load and use it. Fishing and shooting for recreational use takes a certain type but I recommend trying it. You'll know quickly after trying once if it's for you. The strength in being able to do things even when you think they're not for you is therapeutic in nature, so give it a shot and let me know how it went! Until next time, remember, you are a fantastic person and are doing fantastic things! Good luck on your journey!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gardens and Green Thumbs

I have never had a green thumb. For the longest time the running joke in my family was that I had a black thumb. Even if I wanted to keep simple house plants alive they’d be deceased within the week. So, you can imagine my positive outlook when I realized that gardening was next on my list of hobbies to try. Before the summer season started a co-worker of mine gave me three plants and said, “It’s impossible to kill them. They will be great for you to learn with.” Of course while she’s encouraging me I’m nodding and smiling but I’m thinking, if only you knew. So I take them home and water them here and there and after a few days they start to wilt. I forgot to put them in the sun. So I rush them outside to give them sunlight, and forget them out there. OF COURSE a frost comes in the middle of spring and turns my plants into spinach. Not the beautiful leafy spinach but the yucky kind, you know, the kind that comes in a can. I remember that I left them outside after two or five days of

Peeling Myself Off the Couch and Out of My Comfort Zone

   The next item on my list of hobbies to try is planning and going on trips! I had two trips planned and, of course they were back to back. I am not very good at this expert planning business. I'm definitely going to have to work on my ability to coordinate time frames better. Of course I'm sure this will get better as I go along, 🙄 hopefully. But, adultiness can't be accomplished in a day so I have to be patient with myself. Any hooskies, back to business.    My husband and I had planned to go to Missouri to see one of his good friends and hang out. He always wants me to come with him every where he goes and this makes me feel welcome and loved but I'll admit, I was a little apprehensive to go on this trip. Firstly because he and his friends make every event into a brothel and secondly because of my social anxiety. I'm always awkward but this occasion was special. You see, I wasn't sure if his friend was going to remember the one thing I did that one time on

The Right Path Does NOT Equal An Easy Path

Have you ever felt like you're being attacked? Every time I feel like I'm on a good path doing the right thing SOMETHING happens. You know what I'm talking about? You wake up and decide it's a new day, a new you. This is the day you're gonna be nice to random strangers to spread joy. You get on the highway to go to work and someone cuts you off and proceeds to go 5 miles under the speed limit. Your new day, new you turns into word vomit toward someone else who made a vast judgmental error. In the moment it all felt so right and then five minutes later guilt washes over you and you realize your good deeds were washed away in one fluid moment. So often I view change as a perpetually positive thing. If I just do x, y, or z then my life will be complete and I'll be joyful all the time. I'm writing this blog to remind us that choosing the right path may be the first step but choosing to stay on the right path is a battle. Don't get me wrong, the right path do