Skip to main content

Feeling Normal In a Weird World

For the longest time I believed and expressed the fact that I was weird. I loved getting messy, collecting trinkets from antique stores and little shops, playing quest filled video games, writing stories I'd never finish, and singing randomly wherever I went. The world would look at me with confusion and even sometimes disdain but I kept trekking forward. After a while when I realized the majority of the world couldn't process my behavior I began to call myself weird. 

At first I glowed at the fact that I was weird. People would invite me into their worlds and I wouldn't go and somehow deep down I felt better for being set apart. After years of this it began to feel lonely. I had family, sure, but they didn't feel like the friends I so desperately wanted. Inevitably I began to dip my toes into the habits and nature of the world. I dressed up and it felt good to look my best. I drank coffee and it made me sophisticated to have this magic substance that never got drank but sat in my hand. Being young isn't a crime. After coffee it was staying out late to hang out. The hanging out turned into parties. Boyfriends became a NECESSITY. To keep them you had to be just the right girl. It all started to spiral and after 10 long years...I woke up. 

The world loved me. The only problem was I couldn't stand me. I always woke up feeling guilty and empty. I also had this overwhelming feeling that my body was deteriorating. What had started out as being "young" slowly faded into being aloof, dangerous, and soul depleting. I needed a change. So i cleaned house, so to speak. I got rid of all of the things that I didn't like or that required me to do things I didn't like. I tried new things because I had forgotten all of the weird I so loved. 

It's been six months and I am finally becoming someone I love. I can tell you a few hobbies that I like to do. I can stand to be around myself alone for extended periods of time and I like it that way. I've dealt with some unhealthy brain processes and am retraining my brain to deal with situations I don't like. Every emotional battle I conquer brings me more confidence. I am transforming and can FINALLY see a difference. 

The world has started to ignore me again. I've realized it's because my lifestyle makes people feel uncomfortable about their own. I've also realized there's nothing I can do to make it better. I just need to be me. Kind. Loving. Forgiving. Joyful. Fun-loving. The ones who stay are my people. I am slowly gaining people. I have my very first game night planned and there will be just games! No alcohol, drugs, or anything else that makes me anxious. It's truly exciting. It took me 6 months to gain a real friend. Most of that battle was accepting the fact that they wouldn't abandon me, get tired of me, or try to change my mind. I felt comfortable. I could sit on the couch and not have to have a plan of escape, a way out, or a sister to call me when I was needed home immediately. It was so nice. I am accepted.

6 months ago I thought I was normal but this, my friends, is normal. The rest of the world is always trying to find a quick fix to ease the stress of the day or a part in their life and it shouldn't be the norm. I get it. I'm writing this so I can encourage you too, Be normal. Love your life normally. Love yourself normally. You don't need an outside stimulant to make the world a beautiful place. You just have to remove all of the unpleasantness and never allow it back in. 

Keep going strong my friends. You are on your path to normalcy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gardens and Green Thumbs

I have never had a green thumb. For the longest time the running joke in my family was that I had a black thumb. Even if I wanted to keep simple house plants alive they’d be deceased within the week. So, you can imagine my positive outlook when I realized that gardening was next on my list of hobbies to try. Before the summer season started a co-worker of mine gave me three plants and said, “It’s impossible to kill them. They will be great for you to learn with.” Of course while she’s encouraging me I’m nodding and smiling but I’m thinking, if only you knew. So I take them home and water them here and there and after a few days they start to wilt. I forgot to put them in the sun. So I rush them outside to give them sunlight, and forget them out there. OF COURSE a frost comes in the middle of spring and turns my plants into spinach. Not the beautiful leafy spinach but the yucky kind, you know, the kind that comes in a can. I remember that I left them outside after two or five days of

Peeling Myself Off the Couch and Out of My Comfort Zone

   The next item on my list of hobbies to try is planning and going on trips! I had two trips planned and, of course they were back to back. I am not very good at this expert planning business. I'm definitely going to have to work on my ability to coordinate time frames better. Of course I'm sure this will get better as I go along, 🙄 hopefully. But, adultiness can't be accomplished in a day so I have to be patient with myself. Any hooskies, back to business.    My husband and I had planned to go to Missouri to see one of his good friends and hang out. He always wants me to come with him every where he goes and this makes me feel welcome and loved but I'll admit, I was a little apprehensive to go on this trip. Firstly because he and his friends make every event into a brothel and secondly because of my social anxiety. I'm always awkward but this occasion was special. You see, I wasn't sure if his friend was going to remember the one thing I did that one time on

The Right Path Does NOT Equal An Easy Path

Have you ever felt like you're being attacked? Every time I feel like I'm on a good path doing the right thing SOMETHING happens. You know what I'm talking about? You wake up and decide it's a new day, a new you. This is the day you're gonna be nice to random strangers to spread joy. You get on the highway to go to work and someone cuts you off and proceeds to go 5 miles under the speed limit. Your new day, new you turns into word vomit toward someone else who made a vast judgmental error. In the moment it all felt so right and then five minutes later guilt washes over you and you realize your good deeds were washed away in one fluid moment. So often I view change as a perpetually positive thing. If I just do x, y, or z then my life will be complete and I'll be joyful all the time. I'm writing this blog to remind us that choosing the right path may be the first step but choosing to stay on the right path is a battle. Don't get me wrong, the right path do